Supercharged Carrot Cake
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 2cm piece ginger, peeled
- 200g brown sugar
- 100mL light EVOO
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tbsp Veg Extra Immunity Booster
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 150g finely chopped walnuts
- zest of one orange
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup whole meal self-raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp bicarb of soda
Cream cheese icing (optional)
- 200g cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp Veg Extra Immunity Booster plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup crushed walnuts
- Preheat oven to 170ºC fan-forced. Line a 20cm baking tin with baking paper.
- In a food processor, combine carrots and ginger until finely diced and set aside in a bowl. Be careful not to over process
- Whisk the sugar and oil together. Whisk in eggs, one at a time until each is well combined.
- Add Veg Extra Immunity Booster,cinnamon, walnuts and orange zest, as well as the carrots and ginger and stir to combine.
- Sift in the flours, salt and bicarb and mix well.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for 40-45 minutes. Test with a skewer to see if ready.
- For the icing, combine all the ingredients. Wait for the cake to completely cool, then spread icing on top. Sprinkle chopped Veg Extra Immunity Booster and walnuts before serving.
- Store the cake in an air tight container in the fridge for up to two days
- The cream cheese icing can be used on cupcakes, muffins or served with poached berries as a dessert